Almost 70% of Licensed Organisations which offer DofE are evaluated, monitored and regulated by Ofsted. DofE frequently features positively in school inspection reports. As a result, some centres are using DofE to help improve the outcomes of their future inspections. The DofE can be mapped against Ofsted criteria. The list within the document is not exhaustive but gives examples of these synergies.
Find examples of personal statements here
Who can start a new DofE Centre
Under the Dorset County Council licence the following organisations in Dorset (excluding Bournemouth and Poole) may apply to start a DofE Centre:
- Local Authority Schools
- Local Authority Pupil Referral Units (PRUs)
- Learning Centres
- Sixth Form / Regional Colleges
- Independent Schools
- Voluntary youth organisations* (But not uniformed youth groups – see below)
- Private sector companies
* Uniformed youth groups have their own licence arrangements and should contact their Headquarters for more information.
Organisations not listed above should contact the DofE SW Region office on southwest@DofE.org
Is there a cost?
Yes, there is a County charge that is levied upon each Welcome Pack purchased.The total fee for the Welcome Pack includes:
- enrolment into The Award Scheme
- online eDofE account
- DCC DofE Manager and administration support which continues until the level is complete.
- The Welcome Pack and charge made by The Award
- a Cotswold Discount Card
- access to masses of other promotional discounts from firms as diverse as Hewlett Packard to Young Drivers
- DofE Magazine
- certification and badge
The total payment per Participant from the Centre to The Award and DCC in 2016 is:
- Gold £44 (£27 + £17)
- Silver/Bronze £34 (£20 + £14)
More information about the Welcome Pack and the eDofE account is found here
What training will the person starting the DofE Centre require?
The person taking the lead (known as the “Centre Co-ordinator”) will need to do the following:
- An online e-induction module which can be accessed free of charge
- A two hour one-to-one induction session with the DofE Manager
- A one day Introduction to the DofE course (approx cost: £45) – For details of available courses in Dorset visit the dorsetforyou DofE training page
- Or the leader opportunity finder
A big part of initial discussion with the county DofE Manager will be about the provision of the Expedition section. This can either be wholly in-house, led by an outside provider, or a mix of both.
How do we get started?
The first stage is to contact the county DofE office and the DofE Manager will then arrange a time to come and discuss everything. You can contact us on 01305 224517or 01929 552265 or drop an email to: email@example.com
Resources: DofE and excellence in Ofsted inspections
- Contacts and Useful Links
- DofE Award Structure and glossary
- Role Descriptions